Thursday, March 21, 2019

Johnnie Hugh Kennedy 1937-2019

Hello, everybody

It is with a very heavy heart that I must announce the death of my father, Johnnie Hugh Kennedy. He passed away peacefully on March 17th at my sister's residence in Louisa County, Virginia at the age of 81. He had been a resident of the Long Leaf Acres Community in Wilmington, NC for over three decades. Some of you might recall seeing him buzzing up and down his street on his Hoveround getting his mail and visiting friends and neighbors. His wit and humor will be greatly missed by all who met and knew him.

Dad had been an MP in the Army in the early 1960's, and he would eventually return to a career in law enforcement after his service in the military. During the 1980's, he worked as a Campus Police Officer at the University of Richmond and then at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. Afterwards, he became a member of the New Hanover County, NC Sheriff's Department. His last job with them was as a Bailiff before he retired in 1995. Dad was also an avid SCUBA diver. Even after his retirement, he continued to assist the New Hanover County Sheriff's Department with various underwater recovery projects.

He was preceded in death by my mother, Barbara Burton Kennedy, who lost her battle with cancer in December 1981, his identical twin brother, Donnie Ray Kennedy, who died in November 2016, and by his parents, Isabelle Cotton Kennedy and Haston Marvin Kennedy. He is survived by my sister, Lisa Kennedy Brindle, and myself.

On a personal note, I just wanted to share these thoughts. Dad and I didn't always have the best relationship over the years. However, later in his life, I feel that we were able to be closer and were even able to help each other while each of us was going through a difficult time. Dad had his health struggles while I was having my financial and professional struggles. I'm going to miss my travels to Wilmington, NC to visit him and the house where he had resided for almost 35 years.

I reflect upon the lyrics from a couple of songs that pertain to a moment like this. Country artist Wynonna Judd sang "There's no easy way to get through goodbye" in her song "Is It Over Yet" That can apply not just to the ending of a relationship or marriage, but also to the ending of a life. Yes, it is indeed over now. There's also no short cut through the grieving process. I tried to never take for granted how much my Dad helped me during some of my recent difficulties. He provided me with a roof over my head while I was trying to get back on my feet.  In the back of my mind, however, I also knew that one day he would be gone. As for the house where he had resided for so many years, I think about some specific lyrics from the Michael Johnson song "Bluer than Blue."

After you go
I can catch up on my reading
After you go
I have a lot more time for sleeping
And when you're gone looks like things
Are gonna be a lot easier
Life will be a breeze you know
I really should be glad
But I'm bluer than blue
Sadder than sad
You're the only light this empty room has ever had
Life without you is gonna be bluer than blue


And so it will. Dad will always be here in spirit, but his physical presence will be missed by a great many. We say goodbye to him with sadness in our hearts, but also with the comfort of knowing that he is now in a better place.

We love you, Dad! Rest well.

No comments:

Post a Comment